Somerset GP Education Trust, SGPET, is an initiative by Somerset LMC and the Somerset GP Education team to support Somerset GPs with their on-going education and professional development.
Like all GP education trusts SGPET is a membership organisation with annual subscriptions. In an effort to keep the cost of membership reasonable and at the same time wanting to avoid the complicated fee structures of some Trusts we do set an annual subscription rate for the education year 01 April - 31 March.
From 1st April 2020 the membership fee will be £150.00. Members will be able to attend all SGPET organised educational meetings free of charge. Non-members will be charged to attend events, for evening sessions £15 per hour and full and half study days at a rate set for the particular event.
Where all the Partner and Salaried GPs in a practice are members, the practice manager, practice nurses, HCA's and other relevant staff will be able to attend SGPET meetings free of charge.
- A series of clinical study days and half study days throughout the year, SGPET has already run sessions on ENT/Ophthalmology/Haematology/Dermatology and will be holding a Paediatrics Study Day, Moving Matters (Hip, Knee, Rhematology, Neurology Study Day, Diabetes update and Respiratory update a complete list of sessions are visible via the SGPET website.Local monthly evening GP Discussion Groups, new GPs, Sessional and locum GPs.
- Resuscitation updates and occasional meetings throughout the year covering topics from Child Protection to Employment Law.
- Monthly evening meetings with local Consultants at venues across the county.
- Week long GP Refresher Courses. The long running Taunton Fresh Looks course runs in November each year and the Yeovil GP Update takes place in June at YDH.
- Specific small groups for new GPs and locum GPs, PCPs (paramedics in practice).
- All members will receive a certificate of attendance, these can be individually downloaded or printed from a SGPET registered account.
- Electronic Learning Activity forms for each educational session attended that can be used in Appraisal portfolios.
- Together with Somerset LMC, SGPET are continuing to expand the sessions for Nurses, Nurse Practitioners and HCA’s, including Childhood Immunisation training & updates, Ear Care, Podiatry, Women’s Health, Infection Control, Travel Health, and again in 2020 a Respiratory Study Day specifically for Nurses and a full day Update for Independent Non-Medical Prescribers.
- Following receiving funding from Health Education England (HEE), The Training Hub funds certain events, which are also organised by SGPET.
- SGPET is one of a number of similar GP Education Trusts in the Severn area and our members will have certain reciprocal arrangements with the GP Education Trusts in Bristol, Gloucester, Swindon and Bath. Some events will incur costs.
- These are challenging times for general practice and the support from colleagues and the LMC and the benefits of learning can help us considerably.
Somerset GP Education Trust aims to be an important part of general practice life in Somerset. The LMC and the education team are working hard to ensure this and your support and membership are important.