What is a breathing pattern disorder?
Self help and resources
Should I breathe through my nose or my mouth?
It is very important that you breathe in and out through your nose to allow the air to be filtered, warmed and moistened. It is ok to breathe through your mouth when you are exercising.
How slowly should I breathe?
At rest you should only be taking between 8-12 breaths in a minute.
When you are practicing have a count of how many breathes you take in one minute.
How do I practice a ‘Good Breathing’ technique?
- Lie comfortably on your back with a pillow under your head and knees. Place one hand on your stomach, with the other hand relaxed by your side.
- Gently close your mouth, lips together and keep your jaw loose.
- Breathe in gently through your nose, feeling your tummy rise and expand ‘like a balloon’ as you breathe in. The breath should be unforced and silent.
- Breathe out lightly through your nose if possible, without pushing, keeping your stomach relaxed.
- Make sure you relax and pause at the end of each breath out.
- When you breathe in, your upper chest should be relaxed and not moving. From time to time place your hand on your upper chest to check this.
- As you repeat this sequence be aware of any areas of tension in your body and concentrate on ’letting go’, particularly jaw, neck, shoulders and hands.