SGPET COVID 19 Weekly Update, Tues 14 April 2020
Date sent: Tuesday 14 April 2020
NEWS/UPDATE BOARD - This and past updates can be found here
- The Roth Score: DO NOT use in primary care (update 2/4/2020) Some emerging protocols have recommended use of Roth Score to assess shortness of breath over the telephone but updated advice now from Professor Greenhalgh at the Centre of Evidence-Based Medicine in Oxford is that: The Roth Score has never been evaluated in a primary care setting, in a telephone or video setting, or in the context of acute respiratory illness. It is neither sensitive nor specific. This means a) it will miss people with serious illness and b) it will sometimes be abnormal in people who don’t have serious illness. The Roth score is not evidence-based. It should be removed from clinical protocols and not used to as a decision-making tool.
- Covid-19 Management in a Primary Care Hub - Experience from Harrow, 8 minute YouTube clip from Dr David Lloyd on 6.2.20 sharing experiences at the Harrow Hot Hub
Resources for GP's & others in similar roles
Telephone triage SGPET online tutorials and downloadable slide sets - The SGPET page carrying Andy Eaton’s excellent “Rapid Induction in Telephone Triage” has been visited over 600 times and we know many of you are finding the video and the accompanying slide set very useful. Andy is following these up with five further videos looking in more detail at each of the key steps of telephone triage and the first three of these will all be on the SGPET course page from tomorrow. Each is full of practical advice, useful phrases and helpful dos & don’ts.
Somerset Covid-19 End of Life Care - We have continued to add further online tutorials to the SGPET courses page as part of our series from the hospital and community specialists on the Somerset Covid-19 EoL group. This week’s additions include Janet Gillett talking about TEP conversations and Care of the Dying. Please find links to all our online traning below.
Keeping in touch with colleagues is particularly important now. Link Up in Lockdown is an invitation to all GPs to join one of a number of new online groups being set up across Somerset colleagues by Tim Taylor of the GP Career Plus scheme. Download the attachment and express your interest - it really is a good idea
Resources for Practice Nurse & others in similar roles
- Revalidation deadlines, message from Paul Vaughan Head of Perceptions and GPN -From this month we are extending the revalidation period for current registered nurses. This means they will each have an additional three months from their current revalidation application date to complete their application. This is as flexible as we can be under our current legislation, so we are seeking further flexibility from the government for the future. We will give an update on this soon.
- Respiratory Update on Inhalers
Somerset LMC Nurse Advisor, Paula Messenger firstname.lastname@example.org
Somerset LMC Respiratory Adviser, David Long email@example.com
- Support Resources from Astara Coaching - Yvonne Vigar
Natural antidepressants - SSRIs of the non-drug variety ( strategy, strengths, resources, insights)
- Weekly article from Dr Andrew Tresidder - Helping Hand
SGPET COVID 19 online education
|31/05/20||Rapid Induction Into Telephone Triage COVID-19 (Anytime Video Tutorial)||Link|
|31/05/20||Telephone Triage - Preparation and Planning COVID-19 (Anytime Video Tutorial)
Dr Andy Eaton
|31/05/20||Managing key symptoms in patients who are unwell with COVID-19 and remain in the community (Anytime Slide Presentation)
Dr Kate Shorthose
|31/05/20||Summary of the overall strategy for end of life care in Somerset during Covid-19 (Anytime Slide Presentation)||Link|
|31/05/20||Syringe pumps, the management of palliative care patient in the community and Covid-19 St. Margaret’s Hospice Care. (Anytime Online Tutorial)||Link|
|31/05/20||COVID-19. After death care in Somerset ( Anytime slide set presentation for downloading)||Link|
|31/05/20||How to give a subcutaneous injection. For family carers and non-registered professionals. St. Margaret’s Hospice Care ( Anytime Online Video Tutorial)||Link|
|31/05/20||Treatment Escalation Planning Conversations COVID-19 (Anytime Online Tutorial)||Link|
|31/05/20||Caring for the dying person: End of Life Care COVID-19 (Anytime Online Tutorial)||Link|
Somerset GP Education Trust
Crown Medical Centre
Taunton, TA2 8QY