Twelve Good Reasons to Join Somerset GP Education Trust
Somerset GP Education Trust, SGPET, is an initiative by Somerset LMC and the Somerset GP Education team to support Somerset GPs with their ongoing education and professional development.
For 2011/12 the membership fee is £100.00 for the educational year 1st April - 31st March. Members will be able to attend all SGPET organised educational meetings free of charge. Non-members will be charged to attend events, for evening sessions £15 per hour and full and half study days at a rate set for the particular event.
- A series of clinical study days and half study days throughout the year, SGPET has already run sessions on Care of the Elderly, Men's Health, Respiratory Medicine, Chaperone training, Cardiology Study Day.
- Local monthly evening GP Discussion Groups.
- Resuscitation updates and occasional meetings throughout the year covering topics from Child Protection to Joint Injections, from Employment Law to Heart Failure.
- Monthly evening meetings with local Consultants at venues across the county.
Week long GP Refresher Courses. The long running Taunton Fresh Looks course runs in November each year and the additional Yeovil GP Update week will take place w/c 21 May 2012 at YDH. Costs for non-members will be confirmed.
- Meetings organised for new GPs and locum GPs.
- All SGPET meetings will have Deanery accreditation and members will receive a certificate summarising their educational activity over the past 12 months.
- Electronic Learning Activity forms for each educational session attended that can be used in Appraisal portfolios.
- Where all the GPs in a practice are members then the practice manager and practice nurses and other relevant staff will be able to attend relevant SGPET meetings free of charge.
- Together with Somerset LMC, SGPET are now organising various Practice Manager and nurses training, including the Nurse Respiratory Network. ECG and Venepuncture training. Flu and Travel Vaccination updates. Employment law updates twice a year for Practice Managers - further details are regularly emailed or can be found under 'Courses'.
- SGPET is one of a number of similar GP Education Trusts in the Severn area and our members will have certain reciprocal arrangements with the GP Education Trusts in Bristol, Gloucester, Swindon and Bath. Some events will incur costs.
- These are challenging times for general practice and the support from colleagues and the LMC and the benefits of learning can help us considerably.
- Somerset GP Education Trust aims to be an important part of general practice life in Somerset. The LMC and the education team are working hard to ensure this and your support and membership are important.